GistReel

Former Vice President and the 2027 presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Atiku Abubakar has reiterated his commitment to restoring petrol subsidy, saying Nigerians should not be left to bear the full burden of rising fuel costs.

Atiku said the policy would form part of his economic plans if he becomes president, arguing that Nigeria has enough resources to provide relief for its citizens.

Atiku promises targeted subsidy

Speaking after receiving the Osun State leadership of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) in Abuja on Tuesday, Atiku said his position on petrol subsidy had not changed.

On the question of subsidy, my position has not changed and will not change: I will restore it!” he said.

The former vice president argued that the strength of an economy should not be judged by government revenue alone.

I believe the wealth of a nation is not measured by how much government collects, but by how much the money in the pockets of its people can buy,” he said.

Atiku said his priority would be to restore the purchasing power of Nigerians and make wages more valuable.

He also promised to support farmers and businesses by reducing transportation and energy costs.

“I want wages to have value again. I want farmers to move produce without transport swallowing their profits,” he said.

“I want families to fill their baskets without emptying their pockets. I want businesses to produce, employ and prosper.”

‘I will not restore the import racket’

Atiku said his proposed subsidy would be targeted at providing relief to Nigerians rather than reviving what he described as an import racket.

That is why I will restore targeted subsidy and put purchasing power back in the hands of Nigerians,” he said.

He linked higher petrol prices to rising transportation and food costs, saying the effects eventually reach households across the country.

When fuel rises, transport rises. When transport rises, food rises. When food rises, families suffer,” Atiku said.

He promised to break what he described as a cycle of rising costs that has affected Nigerians under President Bola Tinubu’s administration.

“I will break that wretched chain that has defined our national life in the nearly four years of Tinubu’s presidency,” he said.

Atiku also pledged to promote local production, lower energy costs and strengthen economic security.

I will support Nigerian production, reduce energy costs and restore purchasing power. I will not restore the import racket; I will restore relief,” he said.

He concluded by promising to make daily life more affordable and improve the economic security of Nigerians.

Economic security. Physical security. A better life for every Nigerian. That is the Nigeria I intend to build. -AA.”

Watch the video here…

 



from GistReel https://ift.tt/nwaxZ36
via IFTTT